Sunday, January 22, 2012

If You Liked It, Then You Shoulda Put a Ring on It

What is it with babies and hands? They are fascinated with them! Well, at least my baby is. She is constantly clasping and unclasping them, putting them in her mouth, turning them over and over as if they could suddenly change at any minute. Just recently she's started studying my hands as well, grabbing ahold of my fingers, studying them intently. Her eyes get so wide as I wiggle them in her face, as if those phalanges could come alive. Her ultimate goal is to get my fingers in her mouth (EVERYTHING goes in her mouth these days... a trend I'm guessing that will continue for quite some time).
I believe you can tell a lot about a person just by looking at their hands. Whether they are worn and weathered or primed and manicured, personalities can be exposed. My boringly unpainted, too short from being constantly bitten, nails and lack of jewelry (aside from my wedding rings) would tell you that I'm kind of a Plain Jane (I call it "being natural" to make myself feel better), unwilling to put in the time or effort that's needed in order to be a true California Girl (they're undeniable).
This morning as I watched Eden fall in love with her own hands, the song "Indescribable" came on the radio. Here I am, watching my daughter who is marveling at something as small as her dainty (actually, pudgy) little hands and I hear Chris Tomlin sing the lyrics "Indescribable, uncontainable, You placed the stars in the sky, and You know them by name. You are amazing God." And I was BLOWN AWAY. A powerful feeling came over me, and I couldn't help but be overcome with emotion. Our God, our AMAZING GOD has named every star in the sky, and yet creates each one of us with such detail, such precision, such PERFECTION. Wow.
My daughter can't even sit up on her own, but as her mother, I find myself wanting to be more like her. I see the look on her face when she discovers something new, like her hands. I see in her eyes a sense of wonder, a curiosity that I sadly have not felt in such a long time. I want to look at the world, at my life, with that same sense of child-like wonder and awe at the beautiful things God has done for me and to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment