Sunday, January 22, 2012

I heart Zack Morris

It seems that everyone's favorite question to ask a new mom is "How is your baby sleeping?" Every time I'm in a group setting of any sort, or in a conversation with someone I haven't seen in awhile, it never fails, I'm asked about my baby's nocturnal habits. I've been guilty of it too. I remember long before I even dreamed that I would one day become a mother, I would ask new moms how their baby was sleeping. I don't know why it even occurred to me to ask that question. I honestly don't know why I even attempted to carry on a conversation of ANY type about parenting before I actually became a parent myself. I now know that I had NO right in doing so (Amanda Scott, you know what I mean). Anyway, I guess it's like asking someone about the weather... you say it when you just don't know what else to say. It's one of those questions that we feel that we're "supposed" to ask.
Truthfully, I've always dreaded answering that question (I apologize, because I really do know that you ask out of the kindness of your heart, but I've just got to be honest).
I've thought about saying something ridiculous, like "How is she sleeping?.... With her eyes closed." But I don't want to be rude.
But I just don't know what the "right" answer is supposed to be. ... Okay, okay that's not true. I've read enough baby books, blogs, articles, facebook posts, and even Yahoo! Answers to know that the absolute ultimate goal, the pinnacle, the gold pot at the end of the sleeping rainbow is.... dum dum dum dum..... *****STTN!!!!*****, aka sleeping through the night. (If I could have underlined that twice, I would have.)
But alas, we are not there, (and by the way things are going now) nor do I really expect us to be there any time soon (say, in the next 15 years).
I believe that sweet little Eden just takes after her mommy. She's got a mind of her own, and a stubborn one at that (Parkers are not only passionate, but they are well known for being stubborn). Not only are we not gloriously STTN, but we're also still all sharing a room (okay, I'll be honest again, we are quite often also sharing a bed).
And while I'm on the honest kick, I think it's pretty safe to say that most of this isn't Eden's problem... it's because of her attached mommy. Yup, there, I said it.
I used to get so caught up on reaching this goal of STTN, I used to be embarrassed that my four month old was still sleeping with us, I used to be stressed out come bed time, wondering "why can't I be good at this parenting thing?!?" (Because we all know that parenting only involves the aspects of sleeping, right?)
But then I thought about Zack Morris. That's right, bleached blonde, acid-washed jeans wearing, teen heartthrob of the 90s, from Saved By the Bell, Zack Morris. He was a hunk. I mean, he had a foot long cell phone that he carried around in his back pocket. Who wouldn't fall for a guy like that?
I believe I was 12 years old when I declared my love for him and vowed to one day be Mrs. Ashley Morris.
You see, Eden isn't going to be 4 months old forever (in fact, she'll only be that age for 3 more weeks! ahh!). One day (hopefully, not until she's 25) Eden is going grow up, and find a Zack Morris of her own. My daily focus shouldn't be where and for how long Eden will sleep for me. I should be treasuring each and every moment God allows me with her, cherishing those special times that we get to cuddle longer because she won't sleep in her own bed.
Being the mommy of Eden Claire Frizzell is such a great blessing. One that I, from now on, will not take for granted.
So go ahead, ask me how she's sleeping.

3 comments:

  1. No one asks me how I'm sleeping, lol. Glad you are figuring out that every parent has to find their own way in dealing with their baby =)We always want those around us to think we are doing it by the book. Guess what, there is no book on how to be a parent. We have the Bible which is awesome, but it does not tell you the little things. I believe it is because it is more of an adventure to figure those out on our own. I have always told new parents to enjoy every moment.....because you can't get those moments back. You and Andy are doing an Amazing job with Eden. BTW Trent didn't sleep through the night until he was atleast 8mos old....he is still at age 17 not the best sleeper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of the time people are just trying to take an interest in your world, and no matter how little you know about babies, everybody knows they sleep (at least sometime)!! Each kid is different. If Eden is a cuddler and enjoys co-sleeping, enjoy it! The next one might prefer his/her own personal space!! The "right way" to parent seems to be more about what works for your family as opposed to what is the "correct method" (as if there actually is one). Love you guys, and I enjoying you allowing us a little peak into your family's day today! Allows me to pretend that you guys are just down the street!! Package coming soon from Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what..when you get to be as old as your dad and me you again deal with not STTN...besides that I have had to cosleep with someone for the last 34+ years, but no one asks me if I'm sleeping through the night or worry that I'm not doing something "by the book"!

    ReplyDelete