Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters...

So something strange, and a bit unnerving, has been occurring at the Frizzell household as of late. No, no it's not Andy's missing facial hair (though it has taken some time, and a few long ruminating stares, for me to become acclimated to his new look). Recently our sweet little 6 1/2 month old daughter has been crying. I know!!! Preposterous!!! But it hasn't just been her normal, everyday, "I'm hungry," "I'm sleepy," I'm poopy," cries. Rather, it's more of a "I'm in a glass case of emotion!" estrogen-filled, dramatically rendered, 6 month-old version of typical teenage-girl despair. One minute she's fine, smiling and cooing in that innocent, sure-to-soon-be-dripping-with-southern-drawl, little voice of hers, and before we know it, this once sweet child is hysterically, inconsolably crying, arms flailing and legs kicking. Then the next minute, she's laughing! (Laughing at our momentarily panicked reaction is what she's really doing.) And like a spinning record, stuck on the same verse, the process is repeated. Over and over. Whenever this happens, Andy and I can't help but look at each other and laugh (as soon as we realize she's not in dire need of medical attention), for we know, this is merely the beginning.(Andy is a youth minister, after all.) She is her mother's daughter.

And so I write this, not really for the benefit of any of you crazy people who actually read this fair-weathered blog, but more as a future reminder to myself: this girl has pure, raw (and sometimes in controllable) emotions. Something that is evident at only 6 months of age, and without a doubt, sure to increase over time. AND THAT IS OKAY. No matter what her age, no matter what the circumstances, her feelings are valid. They are real. And even if the problem is seemingly minute to her most-likely-to-be-clueless parents, to her, it may feel as if the world is crashing down. I want to be a mother that listens. Who, at the very least, tries to understand, even if it at times seems impossible. Who fights for whatever she deems worthy enough to fight for herself.
Not once do I ever remember my own mother telling me to "stop crying." Even if my emotions were flying off the handle and completely unreasonable, my mom treated them with a credibility that they most likely did not deserve, something I wish to carry on for my own daughter. I pray that she is never afraid to show her emotion (and with her father, I doubt that will be a problem...love you, Andy). For the tender heart that lays within her, will one day (oh, fervently I pray), beat in rapid emotion for her Heavenly Father.

1 comment: