Friday, May 11, 2012

Five Minute Friday- Identity

"On Fridays over here a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Unscripted. Unedited. Real."
http://thegypsymama.com/

GO


I seem to have always struggled with finding my identity.
In high school I was never one of those kids who was good at that "one thing," I was just semi-not really-kind of- pretended like I was good at many different things.
Even through college and in the early years of my marriage, my identity was a subject that constantly threw me into a state of inward battle.
Because frankly, I am flaky.
I am undefined.
I am forever changing. My opinions ever swaying.
I am neither this, nor that.
And I have grown to embrace it.
And my husband, well I think he tolerates it. And laughs at it. And loves me all the same.
The only thing on which I want to place my identity, is the cross of Christ.
Everything else... Who knows? Certainly not I!

STOP

2 comments:

  1. Today is not Friday, it's Sunday. But not just any Sunday, today is Mother's Day which is special to me, not just because I have a Mother but because I am one. And since you are partly responsible for that I will attempt today to respond in five minuttes to your identity crisis.
    OK GO.
    I know who you are.
    You are my Daughter.
    You are your Daddy's Daughter.
    You are a Granddaughter, a Sister, A Niece.
    You are a Wife to Andy.
    You are a Minister's Wife, a helper in his ministry.
    You are a Mother to Eden.
    You are a Daugher-in-law.
    Each one of these identities require many different roles and responsibilities and you fulfil them all well.
    But most importantly...
    You are a Child of God.
    He knew who you were and what you would become before you were ever born.
    He gave you the freedom to change what you would think, how you would feel, what you would do, and change as often as you like. That's what makes you uniquely you.
    God knows that what is important is not what you do, but who you are.
    And you are His.
    STOP

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so that took a little over 5 minutes so instead of 5-minute-Friday we'll call it 7-minute Sunday ;)

    ReplyDelete